RE: Python or Perl for a Debian maintainance project?

Hi, Julian Mehnle wrote:

> So, if
> Python's exception handling were having a bug, you would immediately
> recommend against using it?

Of course not. But then again, I haven't yet found a bug in Python that
causes an immediate and nonrecoverable crash.
(See Perl bug #24589 for an example. That one was originally discovered
using eval{}, but I managed to otherwise reproduce it.)

I do maintain a rather sizeable program written in Perl. I did have
numerous instances of crashes using eval/die under 5.6.

Those problems were basically unreproducible, unfortunately -- as in
"remove _anything_ that doesn't look like it has any bearing whatsoever
on the bug, and the bug will goes away".

I do know (and appreciate) the fact that perl 5.8 is much better, and as
soon as we manage to retire our last 5.6 system I'll be more than happy to
gradually reintroduce the stuff that broke earlier.

--
Matthias Urlichs