Re: Python or Perl for a Debian maintainance project?

On Thursday 19 Feb 2004 8:22 pm, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> All well-written perl is like this. If it's not clean and precise then
> it's bad perl. The fact that there is a lot of bad perl around does
> not affect this.

In my experience it is not so much that there is bad Perl, which there is, but
that Perl doesn't seem to scale to large teams. The "there's more than one
way to do it" idea hurts in big teams, you have to pick one way and stick to
it, or you get a hairball of conflicting styles. This is a problem with any
language, but Perl's idiosyncratic and extremely flexible syntax seems to
exascerbate the problem.

Are there any projects out there with ~200,000 lines of Perl and 8-10
full-time developers that aren't a total train wreck? (I know of one at least
that is)

> It is not difficult to write perl like this, but it does require that
> the programmer suppresses the urge to be a retard.

One man's retard is another man's genius.