Re: Debian needs more buildds. It has offers. They aren't beingaccepted.

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 05:10:27AM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be> writes:

> > > Obviously it was in weak-no-auto-build. That's fairly ok when there is no
> > > huge backlog.
> >
> > There is something to be said about it being in weak-no-auto even when
> > there is a huge backlog. qt-x11-free takes a considerable amount of time
> > to be built; I can imagine that Ryan wanted to give priority to building
> > a high quantity of packages being built instead of "just" the big ones.
>
> Only a few hours and less than the various mozilla packages not
> excluded. The list was to random to show some deeper thought like
> prefering the small packages.

Mozilla doesn't have a shitload of more huge packages depending on it.
qt-x11-free does.

> > (Of course that doesn't mean there's no problem, only that the motives
> > for not building qt-x11-free are not that hostile or strange)
>
> The only thing hostile is not answering to the question why it wasn't build.

I fail to see why 'not bothering because having better things to do'
should be considered as 'hostile'.

> > [...]
> > > Of course, when James would accept communication with me directly I could
> > > have told him that very soon, but instead I'm forced to use intermediators
> > > such as Wouter and Adam to communicate anything to James.
> >
> > That's simply not true.
>
> That he could have told him or that he has to use intermediators?

The latter.

[...ftp-master being restricted...]
> Why not move wanna-build off ftp-master then? All it needs is the
> quinn-diff output for accepted/autobuild and the main archive and
> thats easily transfered through a strictly controled ssh connect, by
> mail, via http or any number of other ways.

Because it takes time to set up, manage, and stuff like that. The
archive scripts are probably already complex enough to not have to add
that extra complexity.

Also, injecting quinn-diff output into a local wanna-build is a lot
faster than rsync'ing, scp'ing, or wget'ing it over to another system,
and injecting it into the database there.

[...]
> He just ment that the human decision to change state should be made in
> that time. Its unnaceptable to let packages hang as "building" for
> weeks when the build log clearly indicates a trivial Dep-Wait.

Goswin, I thought you'd have known buildd a little better by now.
Sometimes packages slip through, and the admin has to clean up those
cases manually. But if you're in over your head with work, this kind of
thing tends to lag a while.

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."