Re: Packaging _still_ wasteful for many large packages

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> The problem is that every byte not shared is multiplied by 11 (soon
> 12), extra Packages on the other hand only add a few bytes to the
> Packages file.

More like a kilobyte per package, per Packages file. Yes, I have done
the math, and it's not clear to me if a few kilobytes downloaded daily
by many of our users, some on thin pipes, has a lesser cost than a few
megabytes sitting in a few mirrors. Especially since bandwidth is
generally more expensive than disk. That's why I asked where the dividing
line is.

If we do not do something, Debian may be completly unusable for dialup
users within a few years. I can already only manage to update my
unstable systems once a week. Is this important? More or less important
than the number of mirrors we can field?

> Even if that doubles the number of packages its not
> realy more complex.

And you go on to propose some complex ways of dealing with it in a UI..

--
see shy jo