Re: virus scanning

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:14, Vincent Renardias <vincent@renardias.com> wrote:
> > In a general sense rejecting a virus with a code 550 is good, but in the
> > case of mail forwarders it just results in a bounce going to an innocent
> > third party.  While master lacks virus scanning the best thing to do is
> > to accept the message and send it to /dev/null so that no bounces are
> > generated.
>
> You'd be right if antiviruses never raised false positives. It's very
> rare, but it occasionnaly happens for new signatures. Also it provides a
> way for people who are infected to know about it without having to send
> a notification email (as most email headers from viruses are fake
> anyway)

No!  A bounce gives EXACTLY the same result as those crappy anti-virus
messages that are plagueing us.  It sends mail to an innocent third party.
There is no way that giving a 550 code for a virus coming from master will do
anyone any good!

> >   vincent@renardias.com
> >     SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
> >     host mail.renardias.com [213.41.121.145]: 550 This message contains a
> > virus or other harmful content (Worm.SCO.A)
>
> Here, the culprit is gluck: it accepted to forward an email containing a
> virus without proper checking; it should either run an anvivirus or run
> a proper mailing-list software: bounces should be handled by the
> mailing-list software; NOT to the email sender.

Proper mailing list software will never send a bounce to the originator of the
message, it will merely track bounces and unsubscribe the user if necessary.