Re: [custom] Custom Debian Distros need the help from debian developers

Hi, Steve Langasek wrote:

> Actually, this is fundamental to the NTP protocol; you get a more accurate
> clock if you can cross-reference the timestamps between multiple servers.
> Pointing to pool.ntp.org may give you a consistently accessible *single*
> server, but you don't get the assurance of having multiple referents.
> (You'll just have a single referent, which may be a different server each
> time you poll it.)

Sure you do. NTP caches the IP address, and BIND round-robins or
randomizes multiple addresses on one hostname.

Thus, if you have three pool.ntp.org lines in your /etc/ntp.conf, you get
three stable servers (until you restart the server, then you get
three different ones). We did not want to do this by default because we
didn't (yet?) ask the pool.ntp.org people whether that would be
acceptable. It's their servers, after all.

--
Matthias Urlichs