Re: 2.6 kernel boot crashing

Thomas E. Vaughan wrote:
On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 04:58:16PM +0000, Matthew Garrett
wrote:

Thomas E. Vaughan wrote:

PnPBIOS: PnP BIOS version 1.0, entry 0xf000:0x6d5a, dseg 0xf000
general protection fault: 0000 [#1]

There have been problems with PnP BIOS support on various
motherboards.  Try rebuilding the kernel package without
PNPBIOS support (you probably don't need it - it's there
in order to manage resource allocation for legacy hardware
like serial ports, and in most cases the BIOS will happily
set those up on its own) and see if that works.

That did the trick.  The only config option that matters is

   "Plug and Play BIOS support (EXPERIMENTAL)",

which must *not* be selected.  I noticed that the top-level

   "Plug and Play support"

and also

   "ISA Plug and Play support (EXPERIMENTAL)"

can be selected, and the kernel still boots OK.  But that
PnPBIOS support crashes the kernel hard.

I can confirm that on an Asus P4P800 Deluxe motherboard too for at least kernel 2.6.0 and 2.6.1.

Setting the command line option pnpbios=off is a good fix for people who would like to run a pre-compiled kernel on those mainboards.

Regards,

Bas.