Re: which kernel headers package to use?

On Sunday 08 February 2004 20.13, Andres Salomon wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 18:46:31 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > Andres Salomon wrote:
> >>I have a package (keepalived) that needs to depend upon 2.4.2[34] kernel
> >>headers.  I assumed kernel-headers-2.4.24-1 would be ok, but it appears
> >>to only exist for alpha and i386.  What's the recommended kernel-headers
> >>package to use?  I can't use the linux-kernel-headers package, as it
> >>doesn't include net/ip_vs.h.  Will the kernel-headers-2.4.24-1 package
> >>appear for other archs?
> >
> > If you need to include kernel headers in a userspace program, include
> > your own copy of them rather than depending on anything else.
>
> I previously did this, I was hoping that w/ lvs inclusion in 2.4, I could
> drop the headers from my package.  I guess not.

The main reason is: many people are not running prepackaged kernels, so their
kernel headers package would be named differently (and they wouldn't want to
have a random kernel headers packages installed).

cheers
-- vbi

--
You had mail, but the super-user read it, and deleted it!