Re: which kernel headers package to use?

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 01:42:43PM -0500, Andres Salomon wrote:
> I have a package (keepalived) that needs to depend upon 2.4.2[34] kernel
> headers.  I assumed kernel-headers-2.4.24-1 would be ok, but it appears to
> only exist for alpha and i386.  What's the recommended kernel-headers
> package to use?

None; if linux-kernel-headers includes the headers you need, or you can
convince the package's maintainers to include them, then this is
probably ok as these headers have been vetted for use in userspace
programs, otherwise you should copy any headers you need directly into
your source package.

> I can't use the linux-kernel-headers package, as it doesn't include
> net/ip_vs.h.  Will the kernel-headers-2.4.24-1 package appear for
> other archs?

Maybe yes, maybe no.  The kernel packages have a history of not being in
sync across architectures naming wise, even when they happen to be
synced to the same upstream version.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer