Re: Not usefull kernel images take all first Debian sarge CD :(

> Quoting Adam Majer:
> > I agree. This is crazzy. But how the heck do you get this?
> >
> > > kernel-image-2.4.22-xfs       - ~22 Mb
> > > kernel-image-2.4.22-i386      - ~78 Mb
> >
> [...]
> > So even if you had 8 kernels, that would be 80M. To occupy most of the
> > disk, I think you'll need more than 25 kernels..
>
> We have many kernels, here's the list that I excluded yesterday evening:
> kernel-image-2.6.0-test11-1-386
> kernel-image-2.6.0-test9-1-386

Test and pre kernels could be kept in sid exclusively.

> kernel-image-2.4.20-3-386
> kernel-image-2.4.20-3-586tsc
> kernel-image-2.4.20-3-686
> kernel-image-2.4.20-3-686-smp
> kernel-image-2.4.20-3-k6
> kernel-image-2.4.20-3-k7
> kernel-image-2.4.20-3-k7-smp

kernel-source-2.4.20 is needed for m68k, keep that on some cd.
And e.g. kernel-image-2.4.20-amiga.

For non i386 the list of kernels differs widely between archs.

> kernel-image-2.4.21-5-386
> kernel-image-2.4.21-5-586tsc
> kernel-image-2.4.21-5-686
> kernel-image-2.4.21-5-686-smp
> kernel-image-2.4.21-5-k6
> kernel-image-2.4.21-5-k7
> kernel-image-2.4.21-5-k7-smp
> kernel-image-2.4.22-1-386
> kernel-image-2.4.22-1-586tsc
> kernel-image-2.4.22-1-686
> kernel-image-2.4.22-1-686-smp
> kernel-image-2.4.22-1-k6
> kernel-image-2.4.22-1-k7
> kernel-image-2.4.22-1-k7-smp
> kernel-image-2.4.23-1-386
> kernel-image-2.4.23-1-586tsc
> kernel-image-2.4.23-1-686
> kernel-image-2.4.23-1-686-smp
> kernel-image-2.4.23-1-k6
> kernel-image-2.4.23-1-k7
> kernel-image-2.4.23-1-k7-smp
>
> That makes ~30 kernels. I kept 2.4.24* and 2.6.0-1*.
>
> > Anyway, the number of kernel on the CDs should be reduced anyway.
> > We should only have the i386 version and let people build their
> > own variants if they choose to (or DL from mirrors).
>
> No, IIRC debian-installer installs the good one depending on /proc/cpu.  So
> we'd better keep all the variants on the first CD. But we should definitely
> stick to one version of the kernel.
>
> Cheers,

The first CD should have only one version, the one used in D-I, but as
many flavours as possible without overcrowding. All other versions
could be on later CDs. People might want a 2.2.x kernel or need a
2.6.0 kernel for their hardware.

MfG
        Goswin