Re: Architecture distribution in Debian according to popcon

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 11:58:08AM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> Finally, the new popularity-contest report pages are working, and the
> new summary scripts are available.  1684 hosts are currently
> reporting, and this give us a good idea on which packages are in use
> in Debian.
>
> The numbers are among other things used to decide the package order
> when building CDs, so if you want to make sure the packages you use
> are the the first CDs, install popularity-contest.  It require that
> the host is able to send emails to participate.
>
> The result pages are available <URL:http://popcon.debian.org/>.
>
> New since the version in Woody, is that popularity-contest report the
> running architecture of the participants.  Currently the number of
> samples are a bit too low to judge the real usage, but the numbers are
> interesting anyway:
>
>     1   0.09% x86_64
>     1   0.09% m68k
>     1   0.09% hppa
>     1   0.09% mips
>     3   0.26% alpha
>     8   0.69% sparc
>    18   1.56% powerpc
>  1119  97.14% i386
>  1152 100.00% total (ignored 532 without arch info)
>
> Not too bad, but I suspect the fraction of non-i386 arch should be
> larger than 2.9%.  If you agree, I suggest you install and configure
> popularity-contest to report your package usage and arch info every
> week.  Several architectures are missing from the list.  Are no-one
> using them?

Notice that for whatever reason, the mail address which does receive the
popcon information does believe that my machines are not using fully
qualified domains, or something such, and thus they get rejected by
popcon, so i somehow seriously doubt the reliability of this info. Maybe
something to do with me using dyndns, and/or having 3 boxes behind one
ADSL line ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther