Re: doc-get idea

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 11:15:28AM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 12:35:16PM +0200, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> > la, 2004-01-24 kello 11:06, Mathieu Roy kirjoitti:
> > > Putting in main a package whose only purpose is to install proprietary
> > > software is making a joke of main.
>
> > It strikes me, however, that a generic tool for downloading and
> > installing and upgrading various kinds of documents (including RFCs)
> > might be useful. It would make it less necessary to include packages of
> > the documents in Debian, which might be a win regardless of whether the
> > packages are free or not. It is not clear that documents not related to
> > software packaged in Debian is best distributed as a .deb. On the other
> > hand, it's not clear it is a bad idea, either.
>
> Sort of like http://www.dewn.com/rfc/ (which is, ironically enough,
> reported to be non-free)?

Probably, this is not that difficult to code (and was asked in bug #74385).
Happily enough, there is something like that in bug #116567. Nobody has
cared to add it to the package make it a separate package or contact the
author of the script you mentioned (rfc@dewn.com) to include it Debian.

I distinctly remember reading of other alternatives when this was brought
up in -devel, but, even if there weren't writing one from scratch shouldn't
be that difficult, should it?

Regards

Javi