Re: Non-free package licenses and replacements

In linux.debian.devel, Mathieu Roy <yeupou@gnu.org> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> said:

>> [doc-rfc-*]
>> The RFC packages could be replaced for most people by an installer that
>> downloads the RFCs from an archive or mirror if they want a local copy.
>> The only people who would then be left out would be people without
>> network connectivity.  (Alternately, they could just be removed from
>> the archive; it's not particularly hard to get them if wanted.)

> Putting in main a package whose only purpose is to install proprietary
> software is making a joke of main.

It would also be stupid in this particular case, the more that I think
about it, because it's not like there's anything to install.  :)  These
packages could be replaced with a configuration file for mirror, wget, or
your other favorite download program.

I was thinking in terms of clean replacements for users of the current
packages, but I think you're right, this isn't a problem to solve with an
installer.  It's easy enough to document how to get a complete copy of all
RFCs (and any other freely available text on-line for that matter) using
existing tools.