Re: w3m -> standard, lynx -> optional

Andreas Metzler <ametzler@logic.univie.ac.at> wrote:

> Corrected results:

> Term-/content-charset   w3m        lynx       elinks
> iso-8859-1/iso-8859-1   yes       yes[2]      yes[1]
> iso-8859-1/utf-8        no        yes[2]      yes[1]
> utf-8/iso-8859-1        no        yes[2]      yes[1]
> utf-8/utf-8             no        yes[2]      yes[1]
> [1] manually set terminal character-set to 7-bit ASCII, results
> in transliteration to "Oesterreich".

lynx implements transliterations as well.  But if the character is known
to work in the display's charset, it will use that directly.  Doing utf8
properly requires that the curses library know how to render this.  The
normal ncurses library handles only 8-bit values (not the multibyte utf8).
While lynx built on top of 8-bit ncurses can emit utf8, the results are
not pleasing (since ncurses loses track of the line width, repainting, etc).

Built with ncursesw, lynx (since late 2001 - I see my changelog entry for
2.8.5dev.3) can display utf8 properly.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net