Re: Opinions on operator's home directory?

On Jan 20, Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> wrote:

 >> What about having the dump package create it if needed? It could keep
 >> the currently assigned GID, but this way it would not be in the default
 >> install.
 >We don't really have a mechanism for it keeping the current gid yet;
 >more of base-passwd's tables need to be exported so that adduser can get
 >at them.
We do, ifmail (which uses the only statically assigned UID I know about)
uses this in postinst:

if ! id ftn >/dev/null 2>&1; then
  adduser --system --home /var/spool/ftn --group --uid 64000 \
    --disabled-password --gecos Fidonet ftn
  chsh -s /bin/bash ftn
fi

--