Re: new portmap packages, testers wanted

Marco d'Itri, on 2004-01-19, 15:40, you wrote:
> I looked at the package. It sucks, badly. It creates a new
> debian-specific configuration file for no real reason, while we already
> have the perfectly good and standard /etc/hosts.* files.

Would be some kind of update-hosts an option?  By means of having a
directory /etc/hosts.allow.d and /etc/hosts.deny.d in which packages
drop their own snippets of /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny.  The
script mentioned before would then assemble those two file from the
snippets in the directories and could for example check whether there is
at least on package that wants say portmap to listen on all interfaces
and thus creates the respective line in hosts.allow.

Example:

/etc/hosts.deny.d/portmap:
portmap: ALL

/etc/hosts.allow.d/portmap:
portmap: localhost

/etc/hosts.allow.d/nfs-server:
portmap: ALL

Now when running update-hosts the line from nfs-server would override the
one from portmap thus the entry in hosts.allow would be "portmap: ALL".

Joerg

--
Joerg "joergland" Wendland
GPG: 51CF8417 FP: 79C0 7671 AFC7 315E 657A  F318 57A3 7FBD 51CF 8417