Re: Apt and rsync... I know...

On Sun 18 Jan 2004 2:58 am, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> writes:
> > On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 01:43:30AM -0700, Doug Holland wrote:
> > > That's it.  One piddly little patch, which most likely affected
> > > one line of source code, required me to waste 2.5 hours of dialup
> > > bandwidth downloading a .deb file that's almost identical to the
> > > one I downloaded yesterday.  Am I the only one who finds this
> > > irritating?
> >
> > This all makes sense, except for the "required" part.
> >
> > > I remember the reason why apt is not currently doing rsync is
> > > because it hogs I/O and CPU cycles on the Debian servers.  That's
> > > a valid reason, but surely there are ways around it.
> >
> > Surely.  First, arrange for all of the packages in Debian to be
> > compressed using gzip --rsyncable.  Then, find a server with gobs of
> > disk, network, I/O and CPU resources, mirror the Debian archive, and run
> > an anonymous rsync server.  Then, write an rsync method for apt, or use
> > rproxy, or whatever.
> >
> > That is the approximate order in which things would need to happen.  It's
> > a bit early in the process to be pointing fingers at apt.
>
> Several people have written rsync method modules for apt
> already. Thats not the problem. :)
>
> > > I suggest that rsync files be precalculated, so rsync downloads
> > > don't have to be crunched on the fly.  The servers would store
> > > .deb files - foo-x.y.z.deb, and they would store the rsync diffs
> > > between it and the previous version - foo.x.y.z-1_x.y.z.rsdeb.
> > > That way, if the user doing an apt-get upgrade has the previous
> > > .deb file in his cache, apt would download the rsync diff file
> > > instead of the full .deb, saving loads of bandwidth, and since the
> > > rsyncs are precomputed and cached, the servers don't get hosed.
> > >
> > > Am I totally off base suggesting this?
> >
> > Yes.  It shows that you haven't read the previous discussions that you
> > alluded to at the beginning of your message, because they explain why
> > this is not a good solution.
> >
> > Bug #128818 has some starting points.
>
> MfG
>         Goswin

What about using something like the Debian Diff format, which I found at
http://www.tjansen.de/debiff/ ?  It checks each file in a .deb archive, and
creates a .deb-like file that only includes the changed files between two
versions of a .deb.  That's a really old web page, and it doesn't mention
rsync or cnysr, but it illustrates the general idea.