Re: A Radical Multi-Arch Counter-Proposal

* Xavier Roche <rocheml@httrack.com> [040116 12:51]:
> This is not to throw another (slightly off-topic on devel-x86-64)
> though, but I was (stupidely) wondering if the 32/64 packaging
> questions and migration could not also be extended to a possibly "586
> optimized" packages asked by many folks (supposely 5% to 30%
> performances increase) ; see related information at
> http://debian-i586.sourceforge.net/

Definately.  This is currenlty supported by my patches to dpkg [1], via
a subarch table [2].  Note however that the issue of i386/i586 split
system is a lot easier then i386/amd64 split system.  The later has two
different ABIs.

[1] http://www.jukie.net/~bart/debian/amd64/packages/dpkg/
[2] http://www.jukie.net/~bart/debian/amd64/files/dpkg/subarchtable

B.