Re: [multiarch] Proposal for *-dev packages

* Goswin von Brederlow (brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de) wrote:
> They should test it on all archs they have reasonable access to. Of
> cause I don't expect them to test a package with a typo in the
> desription on every arch but for feature changes they should. At least
> a representable set, i.e. 32 and 64 bit, little and big endian.
>
> Not enough maintainer do.

We all (at one point anyway) had reasonable access to various different
archs.  Very few maintainers ever took advantage of this except after
problems were reported.  I don't see why you think this is going to be
any different.  Most DDs aren't going to be runing out and buying an
amd64 box next week, or even in the next year so it's unlikely that
they're going to be doing testing of the amd64 builds and are probably
just going to have to incorporate patches sent to them by those of us
who actually have amd64 systems.

> The easier you make it the more maintainer will do it.

Honestly, we've really made it pretty easy to build chroot's now, so
that's certainly a viable method.  If DD's (as they 'should') are
already building in a chroot then it'll be relatively simple for them to
put together one for i386 and one for amd64 on their new amd64 system.

Of course, most don't build in a chroot, even though it is pretty easy
for them to.  Let's not pander to ideals that aren't actually going to
happen.

	Stephen