Re: Removal of libtool1.4

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 02:24:44PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 12:03:16AM +0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > 1) No package Depends on it; only 11 packages Build-Depend on it:
> >    <http://people.debian.org/~keybuk/libtool1.4-rdepends.txt>

> You've got freeradius counted twice; and sodipodi's also been fixed
> afaics. So the nine packages are:

And FreeRADIUS's versions have synced between testing and unstable now.

>     cyrus-sasl cyrus-sasl2 ecasound freeradius gnome-velocity libgtop
>     rpm wsoundserver xchat

> I'd suggest going through them first, filing patches, and NMUing, then
> removing libtool1.4 once the remaining few packages are fixed. If the
> maintainers aren't willing to accept such patches, they can either take
> over libtool1.4 maintainership, or accept their packages aren't able to
> be maintained within Debian.

I'd happily see autoconf2.5/libtool1.5 support in FreeRADIUS but the
last time someone tried that, things got nastily broken. It's on my
TODO list (hopefully before 1.0 sometime in February) but my TODO list
is in pretty poor shape.

On the other hand, it'd have to continue to work with the wild and
whacky spread of architectures people try to compile FreeRADIUS upon.

I think it was being discussed again on the development mailling list
a little while ago...

On a more general note, I'd rather see Sarge with
libtool1.4/autoconf2.13, and happily see Sarge+1 without.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.