Re: Attempted sarge status report -- 2004/01/04

Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> writes:

> KDE
> ---
> Regressed due to new upstream versions.
>
> * kdelibs 3.1.5 triggers GCC bugs not triggered by kdelibs 3.1.4.
> * qt-x11-free 3.2.3 hasn't been tried on m68k yet.  Neither has arts 1.1.5.

Signed and uploading. Arts is building next.

> * Lots of new builds needed for new upstream versions.  :(
>
> It's also affected by the lm-sensors problems, and it looks like
> nothing in KDE will go in without manual intervention until they're fixed.
>
> kdeartwork, kdemultimedia, and kdeaddons are *still* at 2.2 versions
> in 'sarge'.
>
> Debian-installer
> ----------------
> * alpha: Close to working (mostly, an aboot-installer package is
> needed).  Steve Langasek is working on this.

Milo packages are needed and noone seem to be able to build a working
one from source. We can only ship prebuild binaries as we did with woody.

> * arm: Not working.  Nobody working on it.
> * hppa: Mostly working, needs a lot of fixes.  I think someone is
> working on this, but I can't remember who.
>
> * i386: In good shape.  ("Beta", one might say.) Works for most
> people; lots of little bugs being fixed quite efficiently.
>
> * ia64: Basically working, but needs a little extra work.  (See
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/debian-boot-200401/msg01100.html.)
> * m68k: Not working.  Nobody working on it.

Partially working with manual cdrom build. Mostly kernel problems not
booting at all, oopsing on certain hardware or not working stable.
People with a mac and atari are needed to pitch in for their subarchs.

> * mips: Status unknown.  Again, I think someone is working on this,
> but I can't remember who.

I was compling a few versions for Ingo to testboot. Not sure what the
current status is since I have been out of d-i for a while.

> * mipsel: Status unknown.  Again, I think someone is working on this,
> but I can't remember who.

I'm starting with XXS1500 mipsel support now (since I got one). For
any other board testers would be needed before anything much can be
done.

> * powerpc: Some subarches great, others need more work; see
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/debian-boot-200401/msg01403.html.
> * s390: Not working, but s390 seems to go from broken to perfect really
> fast, so I'm not about to count it out.
> * sparc: Status unknown.  Again, I think someone is working on this,
> but I can't remember who.
>
> * Looks like there's no chance of any additional architectures being
> released with sarge, since none of them have had debian-installer
> ports that work yet.
>

> Porters, if you want d-i to work on your machine, please consider
> working on it.  :-/  At the moment, I see no chance of m68k or arm
> releasing with sarge; and some of the others are pretty questionable.
>

> * message translations in excellent shape; many 100% complete
> * discover NMUed and taken over, now in good shape
> * 2.6 kernel support in progress, close to working
> * Currently debian-installer uses devfs; looks like this may change due
> to complaints
> * manual something like 70% complete

MfG
        Goswin