Re: [multiarch] Proposal for *-dev packages

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 11:38:59PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Rename libfoo-dev to libfoo-arch-dev and have lib-foo-dev depend on
> the right set of specific debs. Is that better?

Yes, but wasn't your aim to make libfoo-arch1-dev and libfoo-arch2-dev
installable in parallel?

> If the information comes from configure get it from configure. Don't
> stick it into the headers at compile time, thats just stupid.

I don't see why it would make sense to re-run configure on a user's
system when the information is already present at compile/configure
time. And I don't see the stupidity in

foo.h:
	/* Want to be portable to systems w/o int64_t */
	typedef long foo_int64;

foo.pc:
	Libs: -L${libdir} -lpthread

You're trying to shoehorn data into binary-all that is inherently
architecture dependent.

Daniel.