Re: Top 5 things that aren't in Debian but should be :-)

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 12:49:06AM +0100, Filippo Giunchedi wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 02:19:47AM -0700, Eric Schwartz wrote:
> > On Tuesday, Jan 13, 2004, at 02:04 America/Denver, Warren Turkal wrote:
> > >There is also the problem of knowing whether a script executed
> > >successfully
> > >or not.
> >
> > This is a real problem.  It's perfectly possible for a sysadmin to typo
> > an entry in
> > /etc/dhcpd.conf (for instance :), run '/etc/init.d/dhcp restart' and
> > have no idea that dhcp isn't running unless she reflexively pgrep's for
> > it, or checks /var/log/syslog for errors.
>
> perhaps using daemonic (or better, the idea[1] behind daemonic) to xml-ize a daemon
> startup and then write the corrisponding init.d shell script, this way it would
> be easy to wrap around and check for (un)successfulness
> e.g.:
>
> <service>
> 	<description>Squid proxy cache</description>
> 	<message>Squid proxy cache</message>
> 	<daemon name="squid">
> 		<executable checkexit="true">/sw/sbin/squid</executable>
> 		<parameters>-D</parameters>
> 		<configfile>/sw/etc/squid.conf</configfile>
> 		<pidfile>/sw/var/run/squid.pid</pidfile>
> 	</daemon>
> </service>

XML is not a catch-all thing that will solve all computer-related
problems on this planet. In this particular case, you're trying to
implement what's currently done using shell-scripts (mostly) in xml,
which isn't even remotely a good idea, if at all possible.

Not to mention readability.

--
Wouter Verhelst
"Stop breathing down my neck." "My breathing is merely a simulation."