Re: Upcoming Debian multiarch support (amd64, sparc64, s390x, mips64) [affects sarge slightly]

Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.cx> writes:

> Goswin von Brederlow dijo [Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 07:48:07PM +0100]:
> > >
> > > I hardly see it as a problem when we add a new arch that we have to
> > > recompile all the binaries.  I'd expect it in general, actually.
> >
> > The 32 bit support in amd64 is eventually just for binary only stuff.
> > Good luck recompiling those.
> >
> > Everything else will most likely be ported to 64 bit at some stage. If
> > someone is willing to port something I see no reason to not include
> > the result in debian-amd64. Through that eventually everything of
> > intrest will be ported.
>
> Being it that way, and being me a stubborn, if in the long run 32-bit
> support will cease being important, why not targetting at
> standardness(?) and avoid the lib64 thing? I know, as you told me,

Because lib64 is the defacto standard by now.

Compare with
http://www.linuxbase.org/~matsw/multi-arch.html

> that it's the way RH and SuSE went - but that does not make it
> right. It is a de-facto thing, not a standard. If anything, it should
> be lib32, because the 32-bitness is the one that in the future might
> be deprecated/rare. /lib should remain /lib, even more if (unlike
> Sparc) the default, optimum mode is 64 bit.

No matter how rare it is, if only one package from binary-i386 is
going to installed its standard says the 32bit libs are in /lib.

You can't have it both ways.

MfG
        Goswin