Re: Upcoming Debian multiarch support (amd64, sparc64, s390x, mips64) [affects sarge slightly]

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 09:17:12AM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
> > > It means you have to adapt 10K packages instead of 1K. Renaming means
> > > every Depends and Build-Depends line has to be looked at manually and
> > > 99% have to be adapted.
> > Only up to a point. Most of this would be automatic from shlibdeps.
> Build-Depends don't work by magic

Build-Depends work fine: you don't change the name of the -dev package
(which means you can install the i386 or amd64 -dev package but not both),
and set the buildds to only install native packages.

> and any Depends manualy set in the
> control file has to be changed.

That's why you don't set library dependencies manually. If you do, you
suffer miserably. Big deal -- that's not news, and that's why almost no
one does it.

> > > Also people will get confused because packages
> > > will be renamed all of a sudden. E.g. docs for zlib1g will be in
> > > lib64z1g all of a sudden. Doesn't make for an easy read on
> > > Depends/Build-Depends lines.
> > Docs for zlib1g would still be in /usr/share/doc/zlib1g, docs for lib64z1g
> > would be in /usr/share/doc/lib64z1g.
> Which is not what you would expect for zlib.

If I was unfamiliar with the scheme, I'd be looking for libz, not zlib,
anyway. That's why we have dpkg -L, locate, etc.

There are real problems here with all these solutions, let's worry about
them, not these.

> > > The thing is you still have one package, one name. You just have
> > > multiple debs providing different ABIs of the same package.
> > The problem comes when you want to install them at the same time. If
> > you're installing two packages with the same name, that's the problem.
> But only in dpkg, dselect, apt and aptitude. Thats 4 packages to
> change compared to nearly every package.

Yeah, four of the most complicated packages, that cause the most problems
for *everyone* if they fail...

Cheers,
aj

               Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we can.