Re: Upcoming Debian multiarch support (amd64, sparc64, s390x, mips64) [affects sarge slightly]

> * Goswin von Brederlow (brederlo@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de) wrote:
> > The 20% increase happens with or without my design. Thats just
> > multiarch support if its done for every lib in debian, _if_.
> >
> > We certainly don't need everything to be 64 bit.
>
> For sparc64 and the slow-in-64bit ones, that's true.  That's not true

Do you realy thing ls will run any faster in 64 bit? Well, ok, ls is
64 bit already.

But most applications aren't cpu bound at all. Most users wouldn't
mind or might even want a 64bit only system but need they don't.

Getting everything 64bit will be a big problem with non-free.

> for ia64 or amd64.  I notice you left out ia64 in your list above, why
> is that?  Surely that's actually more like how amd64 should be since
> it's faster in 64bit than 32bit from what I understand.

>From what I hear IA64 has no i386 compatibility, just some emulation
(which of cause is slow). I didn't include IA64 (or ppc64) because
noone from that port has shown intrest in the multiarch stuff till
now.

> 	Stephen

MfG
        Goswin