Re: Namespaces, was: summary of software licenses in non-free

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 05:39:05PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2004-01-10 15:34:15 +0000 Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
>
> >My advice?  Keep everything centralized in a
> >debian.org-hosted non-free section; life will be much, much,
> >***much*** simpler.
>
> As you point out earlier in your email, we already have this problem.

I think are you exaggerating a bit there. I doubt that a large fraction
of our users are using any non-Debian repositories. Of course I don't
have evidence so if you have any contrary to this I'd be pleased to
see it.

> I suspect it will get worse. As free software, we cannot force
> everything to be centralised.

No, but we can provide almost every package our users would want,
given sufficent resources (people and disk etc). There's no reason
why many things *have* to be in separate repositories. With the
exception of some things like mplayer etc which may well be illegal.
(Not mplayer itself of course but the required libraries etc.)

I think we would be stupid to split our repository into two and
create the very problems Ted pointed out.

Hamish