Re: Upcoming Debian multiarch support (amd64, sparc64, s390x, mips64) [affects sarge slightly]

Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> writes:

> On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 08:00:36AM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> > after fiddling around with the multiarch support for amd64 for some
> > time now it looks like our developement plans and ideas for amd64 (and
> > hopefully the rest too) have stabelized. Since this involves several
> > changes to key components I would like to give everyone the heads up
> > about what we try to do and how we plan to do it. One minor change to
> > the /var/lib/dpkg/status file I would like to get implemented and
> > included in sarge.
>
> Regardless of the merits (or demerits) of this proposal, I object to
> trying to implement any changes to /var/lib/dpkg/status before the sarge
> release.  We are supposed to be in the last stages of the release cycle,
> and this is not the time to be trying to sneak changes to such a
> fundamental piece of our package system into the release.

The change is ~10 line to dpkg with no changes to other software or
breaking compatibility. Are we realy in the last stages of the release
cycle?

If the change is not added to sarge sarge+1 will have to deal with the
problem. Its not too much of a problem, since an upgrade from sarge
i386 to sarge+1 amd64 in a single step won't be possible anyway but it
would remove one big obstacle. The problem is that the status file
can't be changed in a preinst or postinst script since dpkg would
overwrite any changes when the script is done.

MfG
        Goswin