Re: Advice on how best to handle non-backwards compatibility

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 04:41:13PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 08:15:16AM +1000, Andrew Pollock wrote:
>
> > Mutter mutter.
>
> Is the previous "master-filter" implementation no longer viable code?
> Could you not grab it from an old version and ship it with the new
> lprngtool?

Possibly. I'm going to have to look into it further, but from what I can
figure out, that master-filter was just some shell script, which
automagically determined which printer specific filter to use. The new
version of lprngtool seems to have switched over to using ifhp in a similar
manner.

I'm of the philosophy that a Debian package of upstream software should
reasonably accurately represent what you'd get if you nipped off and grabbed
the source tarball yourself and built it. For that reason, I'm reluctant to
bolt on part of lprngtool 1.1.1 onto lprngtool 1.3.2, but that is just my
personal philosophy towards packaging, to avoid breakage, it may workout
better to do as you've suggested.

regards

Andrew