Re: Debian Enterprise - a Custom Debian Distribution

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 07:31, David B Harris wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 11:45:35 -0800
> Bruce Perens <bruce@perens.com> wrote:
> > I am still negotiating with the large industry group that approached me
> > about this project. When the price tag is north of $1M, it takes time.
> > If that works out, they would fund 3-5 engineers full-time, plus myself
> > and an admin to work on the aspects of this project that are important
> > to their industry group. And only their industry group. Thus, there is
> > room for participation of a number of vendors and/or industry groups, as
> > well as direct participation by all of the various entities that would
> > participate in Debian.
>
> Are you still on good terms with some people at HP? I don't even think
> we need funding, per se. I wouldn't mind getting paid well for the work
> I do, but that's a rarity. (Why does money always need to get involved?)

To the level you are prepared to contribute, with or without funding, a
big thanks! And a double thanks when you do so without funding.

That said, if _any_ of us can get funding for what we do, we absolutely,
unequivocally should, in my opinion. I see no reason for money not to
enter discussions, if it is along the lines of "here's a possibility one
or more of us can get paid for at least some of the work we do".

I see such conversations as particularly valuable (multiple meanings).

> What I'd really like to see is a company providing input, serving as a
> central point for customer contact, and above all, actually
> *supporting* the use of the end-product. ie: not being hostile to users

Service companies are the foundation of a truly *free* free market
economy. Much closer to true competition and therefore optimal [resource
use|price to consumers|efficiency of production].

Either go start such a beast, or support those that already provide such
service, if you are so inclined to either.

> who run it, as is so often the case these days. I can't count the number
> of times I've heard horror stories from HP customers (and other vendors
> as well) about people being unable to RMA hardware because they're using

BTW, what's RMA stand for?

> a decent software bundle that they're familiar with and can maintain, as
> opposed to whatever outdated and bastardised crap was included with the
> hardware.

Hopefully things will improve. And the more money we can get as
developers within the community, the better.

> Okay, that sort of turned into a rant :) I do apologise, but I'd
> desperately like to help dispell the stigma that's associated with
> anything non-Red Hat.

I haven't personally come across such stigma at all. In fact my
experience is that Debian is somewhat esteemed, *technically*.

I think it has been perceived, though, that to be "pure and free", one
must not be "tainted" by consideration of money.

But that's complete bunk.

That's some poor-me's communistic dream. Take away motivation from
people and you end up with not only an expectation that all should be
provided for without lifting a finger, but poverty-conscious sorry
states of living that are a complete crock.

Now _I'm_ really ranting (and seriously, nothing personal in the
slightest).

Self-responsibility; intelligence; ability. If you've got it, make good
use of it, and Do Good Things (TM).

cheers
zen

--