Re: Debian Enterprise - a Custom Debian Distribution

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 11:45:35 -0800
Bruce Perens <bruce@perens.com> wrote:
> I am still negotiating with the large industry group that approached me
> about this project. When the price tag is north of $1M, it takes time.
> If that works out, they would fund 3-5 engineers full-time, plus myself
> and an admin to work on the aspects of this project that are important
> to their industry group. And only their industry group. Thus, there is
> room for participation of a number of vendors and/or industry groups, as
> well as direct participation by all of the various entities that would
> participate in Debian.

Are you still on good terms with some people at HP? I don't even think
we need funding, per se. I wouldn't mind getting paid well for the work
I do, but that's a rarity. (Why does money always need to get involved?)

What I'd really like to see is a company providing input, serving as a
central point for customer contact, and above all, actually
*supporting* the use of the end-product. ie: not being hostile to users
who run it, as is so often the case these days. I can't count the number
of times I've heard horror stories from HP customers (and other vendors
as well) about people being unable to RMA hardware because they're using
a decent software bundle that they're familiar with and can maintain, as
opposed to whatever outdated and bastardised crap was included with the
hardware.

Okay, that sort of turned into a rant :) I do apologise, but I'd
desperately like to help dispell the stigma that's associated with
anything non-Red Hat.