Re: testing packages at build

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 14:15:03 +0200, Bill Allombert
<allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr> said:

> My first goal is to persuade developers that running tests is
> worthwhile. For the implentation I have mainly 3 questions:

> 1) Do porters and autobuilders admins want to be able to skip the
>    tests ?

    i) This would, indeed, depend on the tests; if the tests take
       4GB of ram  and 48 hours, then thay are probably
       inappropriate
   ii) However, not having the tests run by default would greatly
       reduce the benefit of having the tests in the first place
  iii) I haven't heard about any repurcussions on the buildd's  from
       having to run the tests in gcc, flex etc, so are you sure this
       is required?

> 2) Do we need a more featureful test machinery that just running
>    test in the debian/rules build ?

	I think this is the wrong question. Sounds like a solution
 begging for a few use cases.  We already have packages that do run
 time tests; and language infrastructures like Perl already have tests
 harnesses; before we go about speculatig about designing yet another
 testing harness we should have a good, solid set of use cases that
 require such machinery.

> 3) Do we want to allow for autorecovery ? If gcc -O2 leads to a
>    broken binary, why not set up debian/rules to automatically retry
>    with gcc -O0 ?

	I think this is a bad idea. How many successful auto recovery
 mechanisms have you seen in the wild? If they are so rare, why are we
 debating standard practices and policy based around such vapour ware?

	manoj
--
The FIELD GUIDE to NORTH AMERICAN MALES SPECIES: Cranial Males
SUBSPECIES: The Hacker (homo computatis) Plumage: All clothes have a