Re: testing packages at build

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 21:09:31 +0200, Bill Allombert <allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr> said:

> Hello Debian policy, Ancient policy [1] frowned upon running
> automated check of runtime behavior of packages in debian/rules to
> save time for the autobuilders, and say that such test should be run
> by maintainers manually before uploading.

	Since this is not in policy anymore, this is not relevant.

> I see two possibility to implement this proposal:

> 1°) Let maintainers run tests in the build or binary target.
> Eventually we add a notest DEBBUILD_OPTION to disable it.

> 2°) We add a test target in debian/rules. Autobuilders will need to
> be modified to take advantage of this. We can then go farther and
> implement special testing facility.

> I am sorry for the long post, but I do believe we can make toolchain
> transitions and release easier with a proper automated test
> architecture for the autobuilder.

	Umm, this is the wrong list. Development issues belong on
 -devel, not on -policy; follow ups set.

	For the record, flex runs an extensive test suite at build
 time, as do as many of my other packages as I have had time to create
 tests for (kernel-package; the old pkg-order, etc).

	If developer routinely add tests to the build option we do not
 need to modify anything. If you can persuade people that adding a new
 target to the rules file is better, we can perhaps have both -- it
 would be easy enough to call the test target from the build target
 itself.

	manoj
--
XXVI: If a sufficient number of management layers are superimposed on
each other, it can be assured that disaster is not left to