Re: testing packages at build

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 04:33:16PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> The benefits of not running regression tests at build time (saving a
> considerable amount of time) do, IMO, not outweigh the disadvantages

Reading that, I wonder if we should rethink our build system. Currently on
release we ship a snapshot of the archive, and do no complete rebuild. I
wonder if it would be posible to bootstrap a machine and to a complete
world-build for those packages which get shipped. Advantage would be a
consitent source/binary version, disadvantage would be that we cant be sue
that the packages behave the way we tested them for month.

If there is such a separation between debug and develop build, issues like
running tests or not could also be moved to a stage like weekly self-tests.

I think it would be cool to have such a constent source configuration, but I
am not sure if this is possible. The world on *BSD which supports this is
much much smaller and more closely maintained in one CVS.

Greetings
Bernd
--
  (OO)      -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Wendelinusstrasse39.76646Bruchsal.de --