Re: Question about libcdda_paranoia

On Wednesday 08 October 2003 16:58, Henning Moll wrote:
> Is this a bug in k3b? Should k3b try to dlopen 'libcdda_paranoia.so.0'
> instead? Is there a standard for so-naming (which is respected by all/
> most Gnu/Linux distributions)?

Shared object files that are private to a project are usually not named, i.e.
only end in .so, and are installed into /usr/lib/<something>.
Shared libraries in /usr/lib are, well, "shared", and so require to be linked
in properly. This means no package should make assumptions about their
signature (provided symbols etc.) since .so is only a symlink in this case,
and the only safe way of dealing with them is linking at build time.
I haven't looked at k3b specifically, but if this library isn't used by
anything else, it doesn't belong into /usr/lib. If it is, it shouldn't be
dlopen()ed.

> Where can i learn more about the naming of share object files?

info libtool

Josef

--
Play for fun, win for freedom.