Re: Question about libcdda_paranoia

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 04:58:34PM +0200, Henning Moll wrote:
> But now i am in a bit of trouble: i packaged a woody backport of k3b.
> This programm tries to dlopen (=at runtime) 'libcdda_paranoia.so'. But
> that is only possible if package 'libcdparanoia0-dev' is installed.
> This would mean a dependency to a development package.
> Is this a bug in k3b? Should k3b try to dlopen 'libcdda_paranoia.so.0'
> instead?

I think you should use the versioned library, yes. If the soname changes
then that indicates that binary compatibility has been broken, and
dlopen()ing the newer library from a program compiled to expect the
older library may be unsafe.

> Is there a standard for so-naming (which is respected by all/ most
> Gnu/Linux distributions)?

That depends on the library. Ideally, the upstream maintainer of the
library should be in control of sonames.

Cheers,