Re: Debian should not modify the kernels!

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 10:41:47PM +0200, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach martin f krafft [2003.09.30.1016 +0200]:
> > How do y'all suggest we continue on this, because apparently there
> > are two camps with different opinions, Herbert doesn't think he
> > needs to do anything, and this issue will just die without a change
> > happening. I think we have to properly address and close the whole
> > thing!
>
> Apparently noone agrees with me.

I agree that the Debian kernel sources shouldn't contain any feature
backports that aren't specifically to address security issues.  I'd
prefer a kernel source package with as few changes as possible.
However, I also agree that it's Herbert's perrogative as pacakge
maintainer to package what he wants (short of a policy violation or
general resolution).

> I can't help but state that I am rather pissed off! I am especially
> annoyed with Herbert, who refused to make even the slightest budge in
> a direction showing his willingness to cooperate. I am sick and tired
> of these "it's your problem" and "it's my choice" excuses.  Debian is
> a cooperative effort, it's not a conglomeration of hundreds of
> maintainers that do their own thing with their own packages.

Sadly, you must be seeing a different Debian that I've seen.  Sure the
developers frequently work together toward an end goal, but I've seen
meantion of a few cases of developers maintaining their packages exactly
the way they want regardless of what other have to say.

You've always got the option of packaging a new kernel source package
without the excess.

--
Jamin W. Collins

Remember, root always has a loaded gun.  Don't run around with it unless
you absolutely need it. -- Vineet Kumar