Re: Looking for a co-maintainer for adduser

On Sun, 2003-10-05 at 12:41, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 15:58:46 -0500, John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org>
> wrote:
> >But it would not be nice to not have the things that would leave with it.
>
> Generally, it would be a good thing to have Debian base installable
> without perl. That way, security-aware administrators would have the
> right to choose whether they need $BELL or $WHISTLE that makes perl
> appear.

I don't think removing Perl has anything to do with security, I don't
believe it is any less secure than C rewrites.  It's just an aesthetic
thing for me, I like C :-)

OTOH, if we're going to have a high-level language in base, I'd rather
it be Perl than anyone else's pet language ... it's well understood, and
the perl-base packages are tight enough that it's not so great a worry.

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?