Re: New glibc with NPTL in experimental

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 09:49:17AM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 11:21:21PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > I've just placed a new glibc package for experimental in incoming.
> > libc6-i686 is new, so it may be a few days before it shows up in the
> > archive.  These packages should be considered _extremely experimental_, as
> > neither the NPTL libraries (requires 2.6.0; I don't think it will behave
> > right if you have 2.6.0 on an i386; that's on the TODO list to fall back to
> > LinuxThreads) nor the i686 optimized libraries (requires 2.4.18; will
> > misbehave on non-cmov processors) have been well tested.  Do not build and
> > upload packages against them.  Some intelligence, please :)
>
> I gather NPTL is (yet-another) threading library in 2.6.0?
>
> Do programs need to be modified / recompiled in anyway?
>
> What are the benifits of one over the other?

New POSIX Threads Library, or somesuch.

As for benefits... try "real POSIX threading", "doesn't choke and die on
large numbers of threads", and "brings Linux remotely close to most of the
rest of the world in terms of threading"...

Now to get NetBSD to release 2.0 :)
--
Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>                                        ,''`.
Debian GNU NetBSD/i386 porter                                        : :' :