Re: Which packages will hold up the release?

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 08:41:07PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 10:43:24PM +0200, Björn Stenberg wrote:
> > The first sorts packages according to which package has the highest
> > number of other packages directly depend on it. Top-3: python2.3,
> > kdelibs, qt-x11-free.
>
> > The second sorts packages according to which package "stalls" the
> > greatest number of other packages, via dependencies in more than one
> > level. Top-3: python2.3, libxml2 and libxslt.
>
> Yep, and libxml2 is also a dependency of libxslt.  But of course,
> neither of these are packages that need direct attention; the one is
> held up waiting for the other, which is only waiting because it's too
> young.

And, when libxml2 isn't too young, installing it into testing will break
libxslt1-python2.2 in testing, so we'll need to upgrade to
libxslt1-python2.3, which needs - you guessed it - python2.3. :)

> It's the related packages that need to be examined and put in order
> (by removals or NMUs), and there's no good way to figure out right now
> which packages those are, short of digging through the dependency tree
> (or running simulations).

What he said. Top stalls are useful but they often really only point you
at areas of work.