Re: Building kernel modules for stock kernels is a hell of a job!

Scripsit Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org>

> 	He said use the kernel-headers package, not
>  kernel-package. Any debian packaged module shall work with something
>  like:

>  ./debian/rules KVERS="2.4.21" KSRC="/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.21" KPKG_DEST_DIR="../" KDREV="blah" kdist_image

Interesting. Just out of curiosity, where is that supposed to be
documented? Knowing this might have enabled me to make use of the
debian packaging [1] of a module I needed a couple of weeks ago, but I
could not find any applicable docs in either the kernel-package,
kernel-source-XXX or the module source itself.

(Btw, is it a bug for the debian/rules in a module package to run
dh_testroot from its 'build' target? I know it's not allowed in the
debian/rules in a _source_ package, but perhaps the conventions
for kernel-module packages are different).

[1] Actually ended up inserting the module source in the kernel
    directory tree and patching Makefiles and Config.in's to trick
    it into building together with a kernel image. Yuck.

--
Henning Makholm                     "However, the fact that the utterance by
                           Epimenides of that false sentence could imply the