Re: Re: Building kernel modules for stock kernels is a hell of a job!

Hello,

Kernel 2.4.22 got into testing, so I have to go to the procedure again.

#include <hallo.h>
* Manuel Bilderbeek [Sun, Aug 24 2003, 04:32:45PM]:

The procedure I'm going through is as follows (being root all the time)

1) install the kernel source for the kernel, e.g. kernel-source-2.4.21

2) go to /usr/src and tar xjvf kernel-source-2.4.21.tar.bz2

Why don't you use the kernel-headers packages and use them as partial
kernel source? They provide header files (including the complete kernel
version) and the .config that belongs to them.

OK, but that doesn't work! See this:

goemon:/usr/src/linux# make-kpkg modules_image
We do not seem to be in a top level linux kernel source directory
tree. Since we are trying to make a kernel package, that does not make
sense.  Please change directory to a top level linux kernel source
directory, and try again. (If I am wrong, and this is indeed a top
level linux kernel source directory, then I have gotten sadly out of
date with current kernels, and you should upgrade kernel-package)

So, only with a full kernel source tree and the copied .config you seem to be able to use make-kpkg. I can't help it. Please tell me I'm wrong. :)

--
Grtjs, Manuel

PS: MSX FOR EVER! (Questions? http://faq.msxnet.org/ )
PPS: Visit my homepage at http://manuel.msxnet.org/