Re: apt-get internals help

On Sep  5, Matt Chorman (matt@legalizefreedom.org) wrote:

 > On Friday 05 September 2003 06:04 pm, Neil Roeth wrote:
 > > You need to look in the package itself for the call to configure, not in
 > > the apt source.  Suppose you are attempting to download and compile
 > > foo_1.2.3-4.
 > >
 > > apt-get source foo	# no "--compile" option
 > > cd foo-1.2.3
 > > vi debian/rules		# find the call to configure, add "--with-mysql"
 > > fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us
 > >
 > > This will result in a .deb in the directory from which you called apt-get
 > > source, which you can install with dpkg.
 >
 > Ouch.. The reason I am asking is I am working with some people who are trying
 > to enhance apt-build (www.debtoo.org).. I am in the process of writing some
 > scripts that add "gentoo" like USE flag functionality - you can add "mysql"
 > to the flags and on any package that has this functionality it will add
 > - --enable-mysql or --with-mysql (or whatever is appropriate.)
 >
 > I know there will be the problem of dependancies.. Regardless, at this point I
 > have a functioning script that will take a package name and determine the
 > possible optional flags that can be passed to configure.
 >
 > I've taken a look at the files and I understand the source configuration
 > process better. What I think this adds up to is, basically, is that my script
 > is going to have to hack debian/rules on each package? There is no other way
 > to pass optional configure flags to a compile?
 >
 > Thanks for any help you or pointers you can give me on this....

I did not realize the full context of what you were trying to do from your
initial question. You're proposing a fundamental change from a process that is
static and noninteractive (so that build daemons will work, package building
is reproducible, etc.) to a process that is dynamic and interactive (so users
can custom build packages for their environment). It seems you were hoping to
tweak a few scripts and be done, but it will take more than that.  I think you
need to step back and think it through more deeply.

Good luck!

--
Neil Roeth