Re: apt-get internals help

On Saturday 06 September 2003 07:34, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 07:07:03PM -0700, Matt Chorman wrote:
> > I've taken a look at the files and I understand the source configuration
> > process better. What I think this adds up to is, basically, is that my
> > script is going to have to hack debian/rules on each package? There is no
> > other way to pass optional configure flags to a compile?

how do you manipulate the rules files? What do you look for inside, what do
you add or replace ?

> You cannot hope to write a script smart enough to modify an arbitrary
> debian/rules to do what you want.  What you need to do is to come up with a
> useful standard for passing this kind of option to debian/rules, and modify
> packages to support it.

It might be easier if more debian/rules files respect DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS.
I'm not sure what the policies say about that, but could that be a standard ?

> Sound like a waste of time?  I agree.

it might be like sort of waste of time, but this is what external projects are
for.. future will prove if this effort deserves to live ;-). Presently it is
not a debian's BTS job to track bugs for locally rebuilt packages with
arbitrary flags or optimizations... But that's for the time being, who knows
what the future brings. Perhaps we will have BTS hanling debian's source
package bugs ...

--
pub  4096R/0E4BD0AB 2003-03-18 <keyserver.bu.edu>
1AE7 7C66 0A26 5BFF DF22 5D55 1C57 0C89 0E4B D0AB