Re: your mail

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 10:44:08PM -0700, Joshua Kwan wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 07:15:57AM +0200, Martin Godisch wrote:
> > Are these actually used somewhere? If I switch my browser language I see
> > packages.d.o still in English, if I switch my environment, dselect and
> > apt-cache show package descriptions still in English... What are these
> > translations good for?
>
> Oh, also debconf templates are translated there for use in po-debconf,
> but those usually get to the BTS anyway.

Err, AFAIK, the ddtp translates the old-style debconf templates. Ie, without
using po-debconf. Or, even worse, using the files /generated/ by po-debconf.

I guess Grisu is working on adding the native po support to the ddtp. Until
then, the most advanced teams in translating debconf (ie, french and
portuguese) are not using the ddtp for that, which is a kind of evidence in
my mind.

> But there's an apt floating around that has support for showing
> localized package descriptions if availbale. It was announced awhile ago
> without great fanfare, but perhaps it will get merged sometime.

http://lists.debian.org/deity/2003/deity-200307/msg00359.html

Bye, Mt.

--
"2+2 = 5 ... Pour d'assez grandes valeurs de 2"