Re: vrms and contrib installers (was: Re: "non-free" software included in contrib)

"John H. Robinson, IV" <jaqque@debian.org> a tapoté :

> Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> > > Then file a bug report (on vrms). Perhaps it'd even be useful if
> > > installer packages somehow marked that they've installed non-free
> > > software, then vrms could look at that.
> >
> > Random package:
> > Provides: non-free-installer
> >
> > vrms:
> > Conflicts: non-free-installer
> >
> > Done.
>
> won't work:
>
> you install the installer, vrms gets removed. you run the installer, and
> then dpkg -i the resultant .deb. you --purge the installer, and install
> vrms again.
>
> you now have a non free package _and_ vrms installed, and vrms _still_
> is not telling you about it.

That's lead me to this conclusion: these installers's debian packages
in contrib install packages on Debian systems without using the true
debian software management tool (dpkg).

So these non-free softwares installed get ignored by vrms... In fact,
these installers should build a debian package for the non-free
software they install, to keep the debian installation clean. It would
be easier to track down their installation, to remove them, to upgrade
them.

But it will be also makes more obvious the complicated justification
of their presence inside contrib...

Maybe we should reconsider these packages and think them as package
builder for non-free software instead of installers (if they follow
the idea of building a debian package of the software they
download)... because there is already an installer in Debian
(dpkg). But in fact, there is also already a package builder in
Debian...

So, is there any obvious reason why some proprietary software get a
"installer" package in contrib instead of a debian package in
non-free? For instance, why the non-free flashplayer does not get a
true debian package in non-free, to benefit truly of the debian tools.

--
Mathieu Roy

  Homepage:
    http://yeupou.coleumes.org