Re: "non-free" installer packages in our supposedly Free sections.

* Tore Anderson

 >>   Although the installer packages themselves certainly are Free,
 >>  I feel the social contract is being violated when I have main and
 >>  contrib in my sources.list file, but after having completed the
 >>  installation of a package from these sections, non-free software
 >>  is installed on my system.

* Anthony DeRobertis

 > Clearly, we have not violated the Social Contract: Contrib does not,
 > per the social contract, need to follow the DFSG (policy imposes
 > greater requirements, which is fine).

  Oh, er, yes.  Policy is indeed what I was thinking about.

 > I think it is reasonable to require that installer packages inform the
 > user they are about to install non-free software and give the user an
 > opportunity to review the license of that software before proceeding,
 > though.

  At the very least.

  Well, anyway I see that most people seem to disagree that it's a dubious
 use of contrib, so I'll probably just forget about submitting any bugs on
 the installer packages.

--
Tore Anderson