Re: "non-free" installer packages in our supposedly Free sections.

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Tore Anderson wrote:
> * Ola Lundqvist
>  > Contrib is a perfectly ok place for installers.
>
>   I disagree.  If I have contrib in my sources.list file, and try
>  to install a package from there, I expect only Free software to
>  be installed on my system.  That means I should get either:

Contrib requires non-free stuff to work.  You have to manually verify
what that means in a per-package basis, just like in non-free you need
to manually verify whatever you get in a per-package basis.

You can dislike this however much you want, but there is nothing wrong with
the installers.  If you want to change contrib's charter, you will need to
propose a GR.

>  scripts, I get non-free software on my system from installing
>  packages from the sections that should be DFSG-Free software
>  only.

The installer is DFSG-compliant software.  What it did is not. This is
allowed in contrib.  If you would like to change things, please go ahead
and propose a GR.

  Henrique Holschuh