Re: New OpenLDAP 2.1 preview

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 08:35:22AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Mar 2003, Torsten Landschoff wrote:
> > takes a few seconds for those who want a complicated setup but Joe
> > random user will sit there and read each and every configure screen
>
> Debian is not supposed to be dumbed down to Joe random user.  I certainly
> don't mean we should makes thing complicated, or never write helpers.  But
> dumbing down should not be done, please.  We already have lindows and other
> debian-derivatives to handle dumbing down where needed.

Perhaps we need a user level or something associated with packages?

IMHO LDAP is not a simple package, beginners probably don't need or want
to install it.

Come to think of it, I would say the same about postgresql and mysql
too; especially postgresql, as always seems to be painful to upgrade;
last time I upgraded to postgresql in woody I ended up with an empty
database, and no backup - don't ask to reproduce this... Fortunately the
database didn't contain anything remotely important.

Moral of the story: Always keep some form of backup (preferably text
format) for important data held in databases... Don't rely on
being able to create a backup after the data is gone...

Not something I would expect from the average Joe random user.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>