Re: Bits from the RM: Help Wanted, Apply Within

On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 05:39:54PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 09, 2003 at 01:53:02AM +0100, Javier Fern?ndez-Sanguino Pe?a wrote:
> > I'm sorry but I don't agree here. There are higher priority goals
> > that IMHO should be done before release.
>
> That's not the way these things work. If people have done the work in a
> way that works and that doesn't negatively affect other things, it gets
> prioritised over things that aren't working at all.

Am I the only one that feels it's completely useless to have debconf
templates or descriptions translated to a given language when the user is
not able to go through the installation process in his own language?
(or even to read something he can _understand_ before installing Debian)

Please, having infraestructure to translated that stuff does not make it
high priority IMHO. We also have an infraestructure (i.e. CVS) to
translate documentation, as well as the .po files of the installation
process+programs used.

Enough said, the Spanish translation team has an stablished set of
priorities translation-wise and we are working based on that priorities.
This mean first installation and related documentation gets up to date,
_then_ related software gets translated and updated and _at the very end_
debconf packages or package descriptions get translated.

If other translation teams do not priorise similarly we are going to have a
wonderful user experience, always switching from one language (english) to
another (his own) without really knowing when to expect one or another. At
least spanish-speaking users will (hopefully) know when to expect to have
something translated and when not.

Regards

Javi

PS: In either case, this should probably be something to discuss at -i18n,
not here.